Monday 29 March 2010

NextRead and Hagelrat's Top 50 SFF Book List: my response...

[First posted 14 February 2010] 

Today @nextread and @hagelrat posted their combined list of Top 50 SFF reads: see the full list on either Unbound! or NextRead blogs... and a very eclectic list it is too! Both classics and very recent books are included and the list covers pretty much every SFF sub-genre and then some. What came as a surprise to me was the number [15] that I had never heard of before... could they be children's or YA? I tend to skip that section when looking for a new read, so maybe I should pay more attention there!  

An even bigger shock came when I counted the number I had read myself... 19. Only 19 out of 50!!?? I have some serious catching up to do and lots more books to add to my amazon wishlist. So I began thinking... what are my Top favourites from the list? How many do I own but haven't read yet? What have I started but abandoned? 

Let us deal with my Top 10 from Hagelrat and Nextread's list... in no particular order:  

1. Queen of the Damned - Anne Rice  
2. Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury  
3. Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
4. World's End - Mark Chadbourn  
5. Nights of Villjamur - Mark Charan Newton  
6. The Hobbit - J.R.R.Tolkien  
7. Bitten - Kelley Armstrong  
8. A Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter  
9. Dracula - Bram Stoker   
10. Mythago Wood - Robert Holdstock  

There are a few books listed that are in my TBR pile, namely:  

1. Spanky - Christopher Fowler  
2. Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison  
3. Blood Ties - Pamela Freeman  
4. A Madness of Angels - Kate Griffin  
5. Midnight Never Come - Marie Brennan  
6. The World House - Guy Adams  

And some I've started but put aside for various reasons... (must go back to these!)  

1. Seeds of Earth - Michael Cobley
2. Under the Dome - Stephen King 
3. Greywalker - Kat Richardson  

Overall, I was genuinely intrigued by this list. I have read a number of reviews by both Next Read and Hagelrat, so know that I have broadly similar tastes to them. I now have several new authors to investigate, some books to revisit and others to be read for the first time. My ever-growing TBR pile needs to be re-ordered! I think I am getting to like this list business, maybe I should create my own list of Top 50 SFF reads? Now there's a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment